I’ve got too many computers

Oh boy, I should have seen this coming. I'll be moving shortly. Same city, just hopping from a flat to another. I am packing things around and one by one I had to touch all the computers I have accumulated during the last five years that I've spent in this house. They're just too many… Continue reading I’ve got too many computers

Syncing all ZFS snapshots

Apparently that's something that everybody is rolling on their own. It's 2019 and Netapp still rightfully has market share because it's the only vendor that has snapmirror technology. Common scenario: you have to sites, and you want to have both data volume snapshots and replication between two sites. Apparently ZFS can readily do both as… Continue reading Syncing all ZFS snapshots

A Linux development environment on Mac OS

I've been given a Macbook Pro at work. It was actually my choice, since it was the only machine with an US keyboard layout, 16 gig of ram and last but not the least, the easiest way not to use Windows and have a Unix environment at my fingertips. It's not too bad, but I'll… Continue reading A Linux development environment on Mac OS

Installing VirtualBox-6.0 on CentOS 7.5

This is a quick set of notes about the installation of VirtualBox-6.0 on CentOS 7.5. This OS is not explicitly listed on VirtualBox's website, so.. Reference page: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads . Install the appropriate key: sudo yum install -y wget wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | rpm --import - (You might want to change the wget command to… Continue reading Installing VirtualBox-6.0 on CentOS 7.5

Passing Red Hat’s RHCSA certification (EX200): my experience

Just a week ago I passed the Red Hat Certified System Administrator exam, and here are some brief notes about my experience. Why the RHCSA certification? At first I didn't plan on taking the exam at all. But I have been using pretty much Debian/Xubuntu only for a long long time and for the last… Continue reading Passing Red Hat’s RHCSA certification (EX200): my experience

On commenting code: external vs internal documentation

In my day job, I sometimes have to write scripts in order to automate things that either happen too often to be handled manually or need to be handled in the shortest amount of time possible.But more often, I am tasked with modifying the behavior of an already existing script and/or adding new functionalities.Needless to… Continue reading On commenting code: external vs internal documentation

Decommisioning acso-explorer.santoro.tk

Today I stopped serving requests for the domain http://acso-explorer.santoro.tk. Acso-explorer was a patched version of gcc-explorer, bundled with pre-built cross-toolchains of gcc-m68k, gcc-mips and gcc-amd64. The last request has been served October 29, 2016, but the node.js process was consuming 5-6% CPU with unjustified spikes to 10-12%. I'll be setting up a pointed to the… Continue reading Decommisioning acso-explorer.santoro.tk